Image Source: http://www.esbtrib.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/136488.jpeg
As you’ve probably noticed, we pride ourselves in being a green company. We promote clean living and are proud to provide products that are as natural and eco-friendly as possible. Lately there has been some controversy around one of the ingredients in our infamous secret agent sports wash, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (or SLES). SLES is a high foaming, anionic surfactant (soap). Recently there has been a surge of non-factual information spreading on the internet claiming that SLES is a carcinogen and does not bio-degrade easily. Contrary to popular belief, it is still currently listed on the EPA’s list of green, renewable, safe ingredients.
Image Source: http://orise.orau.gov/epa/images/epa-logo.gif
There have been toxicology studies done by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the American Cancer Society which have proved that SLES is not in fact a carcinogen, and does not react to DNA. Sodium Laureth Sulfate can be a slight skin and eye irritant if exposed directly to the skin in a concentrated amount, for an extended period of time. Our unique, enzyme formula only contains a small concentration of SLES, which contains little to no risk of irritation. SLES combines oil and water in an emulsifying action to remove dirt and oil, which is why it is (in controlled amounts) an essential ingredient.
Image Source: http://gab.giggle.com/wpcontent/uploads/2012/09/Parent_Talk_woman_giving_thumbs_up_iStock_000017066008Small_drbimages-615x409.jpg
While we’re on the subject, I thought I’d mention a few other ingredients (that we do NOT use) to watch out for when you’re buying household cleaning products.
First of all- chlorine is not a naturally occurring substance, it is industrially manufactured. Secondly, Chlorine produces a toxic bi-product called dioxin, which has been found to be 300,000 times stronger a carcinogen than DDT! Dioxin remains in the environment even after the chlorine has been “safely” broken down into salt and water. Want to learn more? Check out this article: http://www.lightparty.com/Health/DangersOfChlorine.html
Overuse of phosphates can have devastating environmental impacts, which is why it’s important to do our part to minimize the amount of these substances that end up in our water supply. “Phosphate supports the growth of plants, including algae. When too much phosphate is present, excessive amounts of algae can develop. This may lead to undesirable water quality impacts including reductions in aquatic life, poor taste and odors in drinking water”. (Article Source: http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/clean_living/faqs_phosphate_and_dishwasher_detergent.aspx)
Highly flammable, this substance is also highly toxic. Side effects of exposure include: irritation eyes, nose, throat; dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea; dry cracked skin; chemical pneumonitis (aspiration liquid). Inhaling or ingesting even a small amount of Petroleum Distillates can be fatal. (Article source: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0492.html)
Longer chains of parabens have been linked to developmental and reproductive disorders. A study by the “EWG’s Skin Deep database, which compares cosmetic ingredients to over 50 international toxicity databases, indicates that parabens are linked to cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity and skin irritation.” (Article Source: http://healthychild.org/easy-steps/use-precaution-with-parabens/